Myanmar admits to killing 10 Rohingya found in mass grave

Myanmar admits to killing 10 Rohingya found in mass grave

The statement said the captives should have been handed over to police in line with procedures amid on-going attacks.

The 10 Rohingya were involved in attacks organized by the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA)-a Muslim militant group denounced by the government as a "terrorist organization" after a series of attacks last year-and arrested on September 1 during a clearance operation in Inn Din village.

"It's not as though there are human remains lying around everywhere", said John Sifton, Asia advocacy director at Human Rights Watch.

With access to the area limited, proof of killings has been hard to establish.

The Foreign Correspondents Clubs of Thailand and Hong Kong released a joint statement calling for the immediate release of the journalists.

Prosecutors in Myanmar formally charged two journalists from the Reuters news agency on Wednesday with violating the Official Secrets Act, signalling the case will go forward despite worldwide condemnation.

The 10 corpses were found in December 2016 in a mass grave near a cemetery in Inn Din village.

Soldiers then shot them dead, the statement said. "The Rohingya portion of the village has been completely burned to the ground, whereas non-Rohningya buildings very nearby have been completely untouched".

More news: Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers — AFC Divisional Sunday
More news: Russian Federation calls Dems' election report 'damaging' for relations
More news: Watch Trump's ambassador to the Netherlands get shredded by Dutch journalists

The police officers had worked in Rakhine state, where security forces are blamed for rights abuses against Rohingya Muslims that sparked the exodus of some 650,000 people to Bangladesh.

The military went on to state, "the army will take charge of those who are responsible for the killings and who broke the rules of engagement". "This incident happened because ethnic Buddhist villagers were threatened and provoked by the terrorists". They are widely called "Bengalis" and are accused of migrating illegally from Bangladesh.

Though limited in scope, Wednesday's message appears to contradict previous denials that Myanmar's military was involved in violence.

The aid group Doctors Without Borders estimates as many as 13,000 Rohingya have been slaughtered, including thousands of children, amid mass rapes and burnings.

Myanmar's government has strongly denied suggestions of "ethnic cleansing" in Rakhine.

It is not the refugees, but the insurgents that are complaining that they have not been consulted on the plan.

The plan that Myanmar and Bangladesh have come up with does not take into account the rights of the returning Rohingya, Kyaw Soe Aung said.

She painted a harrowing picture of the situation in Rakhine, noting that prior to August 25, when the most recent outbreak of violence occurred, Unicef had been treating 4,800 children suffering from severe acute malnutrition; these children are no longer receiving this life-saving treatment, according to UN News Centre. But after the United Nations requested Myanmar to allow officials to enter the country so that accusations of human rights abuse could be investigated, Myanmar's de facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, said that the country would carry its own investigation, refusing to let the United Nations in. "That is precisely why you need worldwide observers and investigators involved now".

Related Articles