Mike Pence: White House Could Have Handled Rob Porter Situation Better

Mike Pence: White House Could Have Handled Rob Porter Situation Better

CNN reported on Tuesday that Porter was due to be promoted before resigning amid the abuse allegations.

"As our country faces unprecedented cyber and intelligence threats, protecting our most sensitive information must be one of our top national security priorities", Murphy said. President Trump's White House has stressed that background checks are handled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other intelligence agencies through the same process that administrations have relied on for decades.

"You also testified yesterday that the FBI completed a background investigation into White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter in late July, yet he remained in his position until last week", the senators wrote in the letter.

In Trump's White House, the quietness on Kelly is a bad sign.

Last week, while en route to the Winter Olympics, Pence said he first learned of Porter's departure when the press did.

Pence says the Trump administration "has no tolerance for domestic violence".

"I am totally opposed to domestic violence and everybody here knows that", Trump said, per Wall Street Journal reporter Rebecca Ballhaus.

Left out of Mr Trump's statement was any consideration for Porter's ex-wives or victims of domestic violence in general.

Rob Porter White House staff secretary and David Sorensen a White House speech writer resigned from their posts after they were both accused of domestic violence

The president added: "Everyone knows that, and it nearly wouldn't even have to be said. He did a very good job while he was in the White House".

On Wednesday, the chairman of the House Oversight Committee announced he is launching a probe into the hiring of former White House staffer Rob Porter.

"When they close the case they refuse the security clearance".

Almost a year into President Donald Trump's administration, senior-level staffers - including Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and Rob Porter - remained on interim clearances even as other senior advisers were granted full security access, according to information obtained by CNN from a U.S. government official. Wray added that the agency had received some relevant information to the investigation early February and that the agency had managed to pass the information to the relevant authorities.

Roughly a dozen top White House officials, including Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, have yet to achieve a full security clearance, according to Kushner's lawyer, Abbe Lowell.

"We want to exhaust every opportunity that North Korea understands our intentions", he said.

FBI Director Christopher Wray says the bureau gave the Trump administration information on multiple occasions a year ago regarding Rob Porter, who has been accused of domestic abuse by his two ex-wives.

Trump, given the range of sexual harassment and assault allegations against him, has long struggled to respond to the nationwide focus on the mistreatment of women. They came forward in the wake of a 2005 "Access Hollywood" tape of Trump released in October 2016 that caught him saying on a hot mic: "And when you're a star, they let you do it". Trump has denied the accusations and has accused Democrats and the news media of orchestrating a smear campaign.

More news: Mane scores hat trick as Liverpool rout Porto 5-0
More news: KP Sharma Oli To Be Sworn In As Nepal Prime Minister Today
More news: Apple HomePod Owners, Beware: The Smart Speaker May Damage Wooden Furniture

Related Articles