Mecca Masjid blast: NIA to take action after examining court's verdict

Mecca Masjid blast: NIA to take action after examining court's verdict

He also said that witnesses in the case were turning hostile after June 2014 and accused the investigation officer was unable to give a "proper statement".

The 2007 Mecca Masjid attack case has hit a wall with the National Investigation Agency (NIA) Special Court at Nampally in Hyderabad on Monday (April 16) acquitting all the five accused. Later, the matter was transferred to the CBI, but then this case went to the NIA.

All accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb-blast case that had left nine dead and seversl injured have been acquitted by a court in Hyderabad. Eventually, 10 persons allegedly belonging to right-wing organisations were named as accused in the case.

Aseemanand, Guptha, Sharma, Rateshwar and Chowdary, who faced trial, were acquitted on Monday.

The case involves two other people - Sandeep V Dange and Ramchandra Kalsangra - who have been on the run.

Patra also raked up several comments by Congress leaders and a U.S. diplomatic cable which had allegedly quoted Rahul Gandhi as saying that radicalised Hindu groups posed a bigger danger to the country.

More news: Fired FBI director Comey says Trump 'morally unfit'
More news: PCB announces 16-member squad for England, Ireland series
More news: Now you can download the deleted media files again; know how!

The firebrand MP alleged that the Modi government did not even appeal against the bail given to the accused earlier.

Citing lack of evidence, the court said that the investigation agency had failed to prove anyone's guilt.

A total of 226 witnesses were examined during the trial and as many as 411 documents were exhibited.

Initially, the Hyderabad police who investigated the case suspected it to be the handiwork of Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami (HuJI), a fundamentalist group supported by Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), said a report in the Hindustan Times.

Self-proclaimed monk Aseemanand was also an accused in the 2007 Ajmer Dargah blast but was acquitted in the case.

In the last week of March, the Fourth Metropolitan Sessions court in Hyderabad granted him conditional bail and directed him to furnish two sureties of Rs 50,000 each and to not leave the city without prior permission.

Related Articles