Fire burns 5-star, 115-year-old hotel in London

Fire burns 5-star, 115-year-old hotel in London

A spokesman for the exclusive Hong Kong-based hotel chain told MailOnline: 'We are aware of a situation at the hotel and London Fire Brigade are at the scene'.

The hotel has recently undergone a multi-million pound renovation which it described as "the most extensive restoration in its 115-year history".

A fire broke out at London's Mandarin Oriental hotel on Tuesday, with dozens of firefighters deployed to tackle the blaze that pumped smoke high into the air over the British capital.

A massive fire has broken out on the roof of the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Knightsbridge, central London.

There were no immediate reports of any casualties.

Staff and guests were evacuated, but officials haven't said whether there were any injuries or what started the fire.

At least 15 fire trucks were called to a location in the central London district of Knightsbridge on Wednesday, the London Fire Brigade confirmed.

More news: 'A Star Is Born' Trailer: Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga Sing Together
More news: Watch the Insane Tom Cruise Mission Impossible Skydive Stunt Featurette
More news: See Bill Clinton's Answers When Asked About Monica Lewinsky, 'MeToo'

The hotel lies near Hyde Park opposite famous department store Harvey Nicholls and is owned by the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group based in Hong Kong.

With nearly 200 rooms, the hotel is located near Harrods department store in Knightsbridge, an upmarket area of central London.

The London Ambulance Service said had sent "a number of resources" to the scene of the incident.

Fire crew from Chelsea, Kensington, Hammersmith, Battersea and other surrounding fire stations are at the scene.

The volume of black smoke billowing from a fire at London's Mandarin Oriental has gone down significantly after about an hour. The hotel is famous for its restaurant Dinner, run by Heston Blumenthal. The 18-month project to transform all 181 bedrooms, along with public areas was unveiled to press on May 31.

The 12-storey Mandarin Oriental has previously been used by the Royal Family and the Queen hosted an event there on the eve of Prince William's wedding to Catherine Middleton in 2011.

Related Articles

  • Melania Trump to return to public eye Monday

    Melania Trump to return to public eye Monday

    The First Lady remained in the hospital for five nights following the procedure prior to returning to the White House on May 19. Despite missing out on appearances from the public eye, the first lady still managed to attend other internal meetings.
    Liverpool confirm that no Fekir deal has been agreed

    Liverpool confirm that no Fekir deal has been agreed

    Last week, Reds legend Jan Molby said that a deal should be tied up before this summer's World Cup in Russian Federation . The figure being quoted at the moment for Fekir's services is around the £60million mark.
    Saudis issue first driving license to women

    Saudis issue first driving license to women

    Campaigners have dismissed the reports as a "smear" campaign and the crackdown has sparked a torrent of global criticism. Saudi Arabia started issuing its first driving licences to women weeks before the kingdom lifts a ban on female drivers.
  • Trump meets Santa Fe school shooting victims in Houston

    Trump meets Santa Fe school shooting victims in Houston

    Thursday's interaction was not the first time Trump's ability as so-called comforter-in-chief has been called into question. White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders made the announcement at the White House briefing Wednesday.
    Iran will trigger new surge of migrants, says Netanyahu

    Iran will trigger new surge of migrants, says Netanyahu

    In exchange, the country received relief from crippling sanctions, most of which were lifted in January 2016. Khamenei again ruled this out. 'Some Europeans are talking about limiting our defensive missile programme.
    Giuliani: Trump team would try to avert subpoena

    Giuliani: Trump team would try to avert subpoena

    They also argue that Trump could not have committed obstruction because he has absolute authority over all federal investigations. Russian Federation has denied any interference and Trump has repeatedly said there was no collusion or obstruction.
  • How to download iOS 12 on your iPhone or iPad

    How to download iOS 12 on your iPhone or iPad

    The new search functionality will use image recognition to find or group photos by recognising events , actions, and genres. For example , Do Not Disturb will stop your phone from displaying notifications during a given timeframe, such as at night.
    England show World Cup promise in home victory over Nigeria

    England show World Cup promise in home victory over Nigeria

    With England's last World Cup warm-up set for Thursday against Costa Rica , Southgate is keeping his stoppers guessing. England beat Nigeria 2-1 before the World Cup 2018, with goals from Cahill, Kane and Iwobi.
    Janet Jackson desperately calls 911 about her son

    Janet Jackson desperately calls 911 about her son

    Janet Jackson called police Saturday over concern for her 1-year-old son, Eissa Al Mana, authorities told CNN. At the time of separating, Jackson released a statement to say they were both committed to co-parenting.
  • LeBron James SLAMMED: Cavs star made one monumental error against Warriors

    LeBron James SLAMMED: Cavs star made one monumental error against Warriors

    Kerr closed with a defense of athlete activism, "You have to understand that what players have protested is not the military". Kerr also lauded the Eagles for being what he called "fantastic citizens in their own community".
    Trade war turns Canada's G7 summit into six

    Trade war turns Canada's G7 summit into six

    On Saturday, the president tweeted that the United States had been "ripped off by other countries for years on trade". Speaking after the meeting, Le Maire said the European Union was poised to take counter-measures against the US.
    Melania Trump not attending this week’s G7 summit in Quebec

    Melania Trump not attending this week’s G7 summit in Quebec

    The White House has issued a statement saying that Melania Trump will not be attending the upcoming G7 summit in Quebec , Canada. Mrs Trump made her worldwide debut as first lady at last year's G7 summit in Italy, and went on to attend the G20 in Germany.