Sri Lanka captain charged with same ball-tampering offence as Bancroft

Sri Lanka captain charged with same ball-tampering offence as Bancroft

A late strike by speedster Shannon Gabriel gave West Indies control of the second Test against Sri Lanka, but a ball-change controversy marred proceedings, headlining the third day and threatening to disrupt the series here yesterday.

"Sri Lanka captain Dinesh Chandimal has been charged for breaching Level 2.2.9 of the ICC Code of Conduct", ICC tweeted.

Windies were also awarded the 5 runs as the on-field umpires Aleem Dar and Ian Gould confirmed that the condition of the ball was changed.

Play eventually got under way around 11:30 a.m. after Sri Lanka team management consulted with Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), and the visitors took the field and continued the match "under protest".

Broadcast visuals of the Sri Lanka dressing room showed coach Chandika Hathurusingha, captain Dinesh Chandimal and team manager Asanka Gurusinha in animated discussion with match referee Javagal Srinath.

According to ESPN Cricinfo, Sri Lanka's reason to not take the field was that the umpires had informed them of their decision to change the ball about 10 minutes before start of play.

More news: Navarro voices regret for harsh words about Canadian leader
More news: Yussuf Poulsen goal powers Denmark to 1-0 win over Peru
More news: Johnson in U.S. Open command after second round 67

The statement also said that Sports Minister Faiszer Musthapa, along with SLC chief executive, Ashley de Silva, and head of global cricket, Chandima Mapatuna, all assured the team management that they would "take all necessary steps to defend any player, in the event any unwarranted allegation is brought against a member of the team". Then the team went out to the middle and walked back to the boundary, where arguing with officials didn't relent for another 40 minutes.

Sri Lanka protested by refusing to leave their dressing room for almost 90 minutes.

It was the wicketkeeper-batsman's 78-run fifth-wicket partnership with Roston Chase (41) which threatened to earn the West Indies a significant first innings advantage. But the home side was all out in quick succession after tea for 300, a lead of 47 on the first innings.

That match was the only Test in the game's history to be forfeited after Pakistan refused to return to the field.

Opener Devon Smith fell for 61, having added only eight to his overnight half-century, while wicketkeeper/batsman Shane Dowrich followed up his century in the first Test with 55.

Second time around the tourists lost Kusal Perera for 20 en route to 34 for one - a deficit of 13.

Related Articles