United States and S Korea call off August joint military exercises

United States and S Korea call off August joint military exercises

"Our top priority is securing the long-term survival of North Korea's regime, and it was not on our mind (before the talks with Kim and Xi in Dalian) to demand a halt to U.S".

The relationship between the countries has warmed in recent months after the two leaders - North Korea's Kim Jong Un and South Korea's Moon Jae In - met on the heavily guarded Demilitarized Zone separating the two countries in April.

Amid fears the summit would weaken the worldwide coalition against the North's nuclear programme, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stressed after the meeting that sanctions would remain in place until North Korea's complete denuclearisation.

The Ulchi Freedom Guardian involves computer-simulated defensive exercises and field exercises in land, sea, and air that are created to improve South Korea's defense.

Trump had not informed the South Korean government or the U.S. military of his decision, which contradicted both countries' belief that the drills are purely defensive in nature and essential preparation for a possible North Korean attack.

South Korean officials are reacting carefully to the expected suspension of large U.S.

"Before taking office people were assuming that we were going to War with North Korea", Trump tweeted a day after the summit.

Considering Trump has been known to irritate relationships with allies rather than calming tensions, it's no surprise the political pugilist didn't let the nuclear summit last week get in the way of taking a swing at our neighbors to the north, calling Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau "weak and dishonest".

More news: World Health Organization classifies 'Gaming Disorder' as a disease
More news: Thomas Markle breaks silence over royal wedding in first TV interview
More news: YouTube rolls its music subscription services into 12 more markets

Harry B. Harris Jr., the former commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, who was nominated as an ambassador to South Korea by Trump, said at a recent nomination hearing that large-scale exercises should be suspended temporarily, although he was previously reported to have opposed suspending them.

U.S. President Donald Trump's penny-pinching style of diplomacy is threatening the longstanding alliance between Seoul and Washington.

The ministry added that there are no future military drills planned as yet, and that the two countries will continue to discuss the matter.

"We are still coordinating additional actions". Trump's critics charged that he had made a concession to Kim for nothing in return.

South Korea's Sports Ministry said in a statement that the two Koreas reached the agreement in talks at the border village of Panmunjom on Monday.

However, experts say that comparing military strength by number of armaments and soldiers alone doesn't account for the enormous qualitative difference between weapons, with South Korea supplied with state-of-the-art equipment and weapons by its ally the U.S.

North Korea agreed to denuclearisation - something it had also committed to in talks with South Korea - while Mr Trump said the the United States would end its joint military exercises with South Korea.

Related Articles