Indianapolis teen hospitalized for a WEEK after 'hot water challenge'

Indianapolis teen hospitalized for a WEEK after 'hot water challenge'

An Indianapolis family is raising a red flag about the so-called "Hot Water Challenge" after the unsafe prank resulted in a 15-year-old being severely burned.

The challenge involves drinking or pouring boiling water on someone. The Hot Water Challenge claimed one life a year ago when a child drank boiling water, and in a YouTube video by MedXclusive Learning, physicians claim they are seeing more injured patients in the ER because of unsafe social media challenges.

The boiling water was poured on Kyland Clark, 15, as he slept.

". When I came to my senses, the water got hot and I just got up and ripped my shirt off, ' Kylan said".

"My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror and I had skin falling off here and on my face", he said. Last summer, an 11-year-old girl in NY suffered burns to her face and chest after her friends had poured hot water on her.

Doctors at Indiana University Health told FOX 59 they're seeing more prank-related injuries in the emergency room. Kyland has been in the hospital for a week receiving treatment for his injuries.

More news: Whyte beats Parker on points in heavyweight fight
More news: Leaked iPad Pro schematics reveal mysterious new connector
More news: CBS's Board Meeting Gets a New Agenda

In August 2017, an 8-year-old girl died after she allegedly drank boiling water through a straw on a dare, CBS News reported.

Some online challenges produce positive changes and are worth promoting so that they can go viral and help people.

Dr. Ed Barkus told WXIN it's possible that people who do the challenge could end up with permanent disfigurement due to burns on the body or burns to the airway that could result in death.

Clark was treated for his injuries in the hospital for a week.

Kyland Clark said, "There's a limit to what you should do in a challenge and what you shouldn't do". Doctors hope that the pigment will return to his face in several months.

Now Kyland and his distraught mother Andrea are sharing their story to urge others not to do the challenge. "Don't take it overboard", the 15-year-old said.

Related Articles