LA police arrest suspect after deadly hostage standoff

LA police arrest suspect after deadly hostage standoff

Police said that at one point during the incident, the suspect fired at officers and then fired at the woman who later died from her injuries. He crashed the vehicle attempting to escape police, firing at officers before running into the nearby grocery store. For hours, the incident at a Trader Joe's in Silver Lake paralyzed part of the city and even captured the attention of President Trump.

"I'm sad to say she didn't make it". "My daughter sent me a text saying, "There's a gunman in Trader Joe's" and 'I love you, momma.' She said that she was in a backroom, they were hiding from the gunman and she didn't really know what was going on". He'd allegedly shot his grandmother multiple times before the auto chase began. "He said he would start killing us if he didn't get to talk to his granny", Westafer said.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti added his condolences as well.

"Our hearts are broken over what happened today". "This has been an incredible trauma, and our thoughts are with our Crew Members and customers".

Law enforcement surrounded the building and had weapons pointed at the store. Officials said they had 18 ambulances and 100 firefighters staged at the scene.

According to the Associated Press, "Police believe a man involved in a standoff with officers at a Los Angeles supermarket shot his grandmother and girlfriend before firing at officers during a pursuit, then crashing outside the supermarket and running inside the store". Garcetti said the woman was shot about seven times. The grandmother was listed in critical condition.

Derek Anthony told NBC4 he saw the end of a vehicle chase: "The auto had heavy damage, had flat tyres and the suspect was still careening around the corner with all the police behind him, and he was shooting his gun as he came around the corner".

NBC has learned that at least one employee was instrumental in helping several hostages escape through a backroom.

Authorities said Atkins fired at officers during the pursuit and that they returned gunfire after he crashed and ran into the Trader Joe's.

Moore later said about 40 people were believed to be in the store when the suspect entered.

More news: Kisner drops out of lead at British Open
More news: Jordan Spieth sends Open warning after early eagle sparks surge
More news: Tekashi69 Hospitalized After Being Kidnapped, Pistol-Whipped & Robbed

The standoff ended as live TV coverage of the scene showed a man in a tank top and four hostages emerging from the store with their hands in the air. Some were able to escape when a store employee activated an emergency ladder out of a second floor store window.

A 20-year-old woman was taken to a hospital in fair condition, but she was not in the store.

The scene inside the store was described as "chaos" with one woman reporting to a local television news outlet she was almost trampled trying to escape.

The gunman, who was not identified, surrendered following a three-hour standoff.

Atkins fled into the crowded neighborhood grocery store Saturday afternoon, barricading himself with hostages.

The suspect ultimately surrendered at 6:30 p.m., walking out of the store with a group of hostages. He had an arm injury. His name has not been released. "She had heard the gunshots", Felt said.

Egland said she saw a gun under one of the suspect's pillows on Friday. He told CNN she had worked at the store for four to five years.

Egland said the wounded grandmother underwent surgery, and so far was "holding her own". "I was at the Silverlake Trader Joe's but I got out and am fine".

The suspect barricaded himself inside the supermarket with an unknown number of people, but was taken into custody "without incident", according to police. The suspect, who has not been identified, is said to be about 28 years old.

Related Articles