Dozens dead after school bus carrying children hit by airstrike

Dozens dead after school bus carrying children hit by airstrike

Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV reported that 47 people were killed and 77 wounded, and broadcast graphic pictures showing the bodies of several young children, some of them wearing school uniform.

"Scores killed, even more injured, most under the age of 10", Johannes Bruwer, head of delegation for the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen, said in a twitter post.

In a tweet, the International Committee for the Red Cross said the attack targeted a bus carrying children in Dahyan market in Saada province, which borders Saudi Arabia.

The ICRC said on its Twitter account that its medical team at the ICRC-supported hospital in Saada had received the bodies of 29 children, all under 15 years old.

There was no breakdown in the casualties and it was not immediately clear how numerous victims were on the bus itself and how many were pedestrians in the immediate area around it.

He stressed that the Houthi leaders and terrorist elements responsible for firing ballistic missiles and targeting civilians will be targeted as part of the coalition efforts to prevent terrorist elements from harming regional and worldwide security.

Despite killing dozens of schoolchildren, the spokesman called Thursday's attack on the school bus a "legitimate military action" and said it is "in accordance with worldwide humanitarian law and customs". Disparate casualty tolls are common in the immediate aftermath of large attacks. It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties in those strikes.

The assault was the latest in a string of airstrikes to target civilians by an American-backed regional coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

More news: Ben Schwartz Set To Voice Sonic The Hedgehog In Upcoming Movie
More news: 'People were screaming': Witness describes chaos when quake hit Gili Islands
More news: Mobile rolls out cheaper tier of unlimited service

The Houthis seized the capital, Sanaa, in 2014 and overthrew the internationally recognised government led by President Abdrabu Mansur Hadi during a transition of power from former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

In addition to the thousands of deaths blamed on the fighting, the war has left Yemen in chaos.

A US military spokeswoman said: "U.S".

Col. Turki al-Malki, a spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, said the attack was a response to a missile fired at the kingdom's south, killing one person and wounding 11 others.

The coalition denied responsibility for those attacks.

The Yemen war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced more than 2 million and driven the country to the verge of starvation, according to the United Nations.

Earlier this week, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, convened a consultative meeting in the United Kingdom of 22 Yemeni public figures and women activists as part of his efforts to end the war.

The attack on Jazan was the second ballistic missile fired at Saudi Arabia by the Iran-backed rebels this week. He recently announced plans to invite Yemen's warring parties to Geneva on September 6 to hold the first round of consultations.

Related Articles