Tesla files suit against Ontario government over cancelled EV rebates

Tesla files suit against Ontario government over cancelled EV rebates

Tesla summons Ontario Government over cancelled e-vehicle incentive program.as indicated by case filed in court on August 10, electric vehicle manufacturing company - Tesla Inc is prosecuting the Ontario government due to the Canadian province's wiping out of an electric vehicle incentive program. Tesla said that the Ministry of Transportation excluded the electric vehicle maker from its transition plan after it ended the rebate program.

Neither Tesla nor the Ontario government immediately responded to AFP's requests for comment.

In July, shortly after coming to power in Ontario, the Progressive Conservative government under Doug Ford cancelled a slew of green energy initiatives, including an Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program that provided rebates of up to C$14,000 ($10,640) for people who bought electric cars.

"This decision has also already inflicted substantial harm on Tesla Canada in the form of lost sales", said the electric vehicle company.

Customers who have been waiting for Tesla Model 3 cars to be delivered say the Ontario government move has them rethinking their purchase.

More news: Arsenal boss Unai Emery 'happy' despite loss at Chelsea
More news: President Trump Is Interested in a Major Shakeup for Corporate Earnings Reports
More news: CDC monitoring measles outbreak in 21 states, including New York State

It claims that Tesla was singled out and that purchasers of other brands will still get rebates during a transition period.

Tesla said that it received no reasons for its exclusion, "which was an arbitrary and entirely unreasonable decision, and should be quashed". The incentives were funded by Ontario's cap-and-trade program, which the government also canceled in the name of reducing gas prices.

Customers who ordered their vehicle before July can still benefit from the program until mid-September - except for hundreds of Tesla customers, according to the firm.

The Drive has reached out to Tesla for clarification and further comment and will update this story when we get a response.

Related Articles

  • Elon Musk: This Has Been The Most Painful Year Of My Career

    Elon Musk: This Has Been The Most Painful Year Of My Career

    The fourth straight day of declines has wiped out Tesla's year-to-date gains and pushed the shares down 14 per cent this week. Musk added he had agreed not to tweet again about taking the firm private unless he had discussed it with the board.
    Nick Jonas to Priyanka Chopra: Future Mrs Jonas. My heart. My love

    Nick Jonas to Priyanka Chopra: Future Mrs Jonas. My heart. My love

    We already know that Priyanka is super close to her mother and her mother must obviously be the happiest person on the occasion. Nick's eldest sibling Kevin, 30, also joined in on the praise, penning: 'Congratulations @nickjonas and @ priyankachopra '.
    First a wedding, then hard work: Putin to visit Germany's Merkel

    First a wedding, then hard work: Putin to visit Germany's Merkel

    Kneissl, an independent, was nominated by the pro-Russia Austrian Freedom Party, whose leaders also attended the wedding. Michel Reimon, an Austrian Green member of the European parliament (MEP) called on Kneissl to resign from her post.
  • House of Fraser website offline amid reported delivery woes

    House of Fraser website offline amid reported delivery woes

    The high street chain was bought-out by Sports Direct last week after it went into administration. FashionUnited has contacted House of Fraser for comment, but the company hasn't replied yet.
    Lawmakers want British vaping rules relaxed to help smokers quit

    Lawmakers want British vaping rules relaxed to help smokers quit

    They say if e-cigarettes become more socially acceptable, less people will smoke and cause harm to themselves and others. There is no evidence e-cigarettes are a gateway into smoking for young people, Public Health England said.
    NSW bushfires: More than 80 fires still burn as conditions ease

    NSW bushfires: More than 80 fires still burn as conditions ease

    On Wednesday, RFS Deputy Commissioner Rob Rogers said firefighters were anxious the milder conditions would not last long. The Ulladulla firefront has burnt through about 100 hectares and properties west of Burrill Lake are now under threat.
  • Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in London derby thriller

    Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in London derby thriller

    Despite a strong start he ended the season with 15 goals in all competitions having fallen victim to injury and loss of form. His team are already off the pace, though, and that will be a worry for him as the season begins to kick into gear.
    Modi sanctions Rs 500 crore interim relief for Kerala

    Modi sanctions Rs 500 crore interim relief for Kerala

    Over 300 people have died in Kerala since the monsoon started in June, including over 170 since torrential rains began in August. The worldwide airport at Kochi, a major port city, suspended flight operations until Saturday after the runway was flooded.

    Sony sells three million PlayStation VR headsets

    Sony is now celebrating an important milestone for the PlayStation VR , and is sharing its jubilation with the world. Pre-orders are now live, and you can pick up the game when it arrives on October 9.
  • Prepare for sub-tropical Storm Ernesto

    Prepare for sub-tropical Storm Ernesto

    However, heavy rain will develop later in the day along the Atlantic Seaboard and will become widespread early Saturday night. London could see highs of around 24C this weekend, but Glasgow will be considerably cooler, with highs of around 15C.
    Diet moderate in carbs could be key to longer life

    Diet moderate in carbs could be key to longer life

    Very low and very high carb diets came with a higher risk of death than diets where they made up 50 to 55 per cent of calories. When some of the carbohydrate was replaced by proteins and fat from plant sources the risk of dying was found to be lower.
    Stokes called up to England's third Test squad

    Stokes called up to England's third Test squad

    As to whether that will be relayed to a wider audience, the Australian added: "I'm sure something will be forthcoming". England will clinch the five-match series if they win again in Nottingham to add to their 2-0 lead.