Yemenis Mourn Children Killed at Saudi Coalition Airstrike (+Video, Photos)

Yemenis Mourn Children Killed at Saudi Coalition Airstrike (+Video, Photos)

The involvement of US military intelligence in "fine-tuning" the targets of coalition airstrikes is likely the main factor explaining why the USA government has refused to condemn the strike and has refused to support an independent investigation into the atrocity, instead supporting only a Saudi-led inquiry.

The meeting also discussed the GCC-backed political transition that was disrupted when the Houthi rebels seized the capital, Sanaa, in September 2014 and overthrew the internationally recognised government led by President Abdrabu Mansur Hadi. The U.S. has backed a coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to restore the government.

In his letter to the Security Council, the head of the Saudi mission briefed the Security Council on the coalition's statement on legitimate military objectives and the statement issued by the joint investigation to assess the incident. Indeed, were the full extent of US involvement in last week's bombing made clear, the USA government could find itself in trouble, as certain government officials could be accused of complicity in coalition war crimes in Yemen.

The coalition announced afterwards that it had ordered an investigation into the strike, which it initially said had targeted Huthi rebel combatants.

"War can't be a clean operation unfortunately", UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told reporters in Dubai when asked about the Saada attack.

The Houthis' health ministry said that 51 people were killed in the raids including 40 children.

More news: Vimeo scrubs Alex Jones from streaming service
More news: Defendants arrested at New Mexico compound to be released
More news: Baltimore Cop Suspended With Pay After Viral Video Shows Him Punching Man

The strike by the Western-backed alliance of Arab countries outraged human rights groups and was strongly condemned by United Nations officials.

Defense officials described the US general's visit as a fact-finding mission and said the United States would not conduct a separate investigation.

The Arab states carried out fresh air strikes last Friday, killing a girl and injuring several other people in Marib province, east of Sanaa, al-Masirah TV said.

US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Sunday he has dispatched a three-star general to Riyadh to "look into what happened".

The coalition says it does not intentionally target civilians and has set up a committee to probe alleged mass casualty air strikes, which has mostly cleared it of any blame.

Yemen " s Human Rights Minister Alia Faisal condemned today the indiscriminate attacks of Saudi aviation against the country " s civilian population.

Related Articles