Unknown gunmen 'kill, injure several' in attack on Iranian army parade

Unknown gunmen 'kill, injure several' in attack on Iranian army parade

The agency did not elaborate.

State television said the assault, which also wounded 20 people, targeted a stand where Iranian officials were gathered to watch an annual event marking the start of the country's 1980-88 war with Iraq.

A report on Saturday described the assailants as "Takifiri gunmen", a term used previously to describe the Islamic State group.

The semi-official Fars news agency, which is close to the Revolutionary Guard, said two gunmen on a motorcycle wearing khaki uniforms carried out the attack.

More news: Malaysia charges former PM Najib with abuse of power, money laundering
More news: Asia Cup 2018: High-flying Nawaz keeps Pakistan on top
More news: GOP Judiciary Committee gives counteroffer to Kavanaugh's accuser

"The terrorists disguised as Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) and Basiji (volunteer) forces opened fire to the authority and people from behind the stand during the parade", Governor of Khuzestan Gholam-Reza Shariati said, according to the state news agency IRNA.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

State television showed images of the immediate aftermath. That attack had at that point been the only one by the Sunni extremists inside of Shiite Iran, which has been deeply involved in the wars in Iraq and Syria where the militants once held vast territory. However, Iran faced a bloody assault previous year from the Islamic State group and Arab separatists in the region have attacked oil pipelines there in the past.

In 2015, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch both protested an Iranian crackdown against Ahvazi Arabs, as the regime undertook a large-scale campaign of arbitrary arrests in Khuzestan Province, where Ahvazis live and where most of Iran's oil and gas reserves are located.

Related Articles