New Indonesia quake kills 3 in Java village, shakes Bali

New Indonesia quake kills 3 in Java village, shakes Bali

At least three people were killed as a shallow 6.0-magnitude natural disaster struck off the coast of Indonesia's Java and Bali islands Thursday, a government official said.

The strong quake was felt in Denpasar on the holiday island of Bali, where panicked people fled from buildings. The U.S. Geological Survey said it had a 6.0 magnitude.

The accident mitigation agency, shows the damages from an quake in East Java's Sumenep district on October 11, 2018.

"As long as they keep searching, I will be here every day looking for my son", said Rahman, who said he had lost three sons in the disaster. People poured out of their houses.

Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre oceanographer David Walsh said any tsunami from the quake would only affect areas immediately around the epicentre.

Some tourists and residents ducked outdoors as a precaution but then went back to sleep when there was no tsunami warning.

An natural disaster Thursday killed three people in Indonesia and rattled hotels where International Monetary Fund delegates are attending a major summit, a fortnight after a quake-tsunami killed more than 2,000 elsewhere in the archipelago.

All the three people died in Sumenep district on Madura island after being crushed by collapsed buildings, according to Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of the National Disaster Managament Agency (BNPB).

More news: Channing Tatum Is Dating Jessie J and We Are Shook
More news: Nokia 7.1 Plus Expected to Launch Today in India
More news: White Confirms Khabib Won’t Be Stripped Of Title Following 229 Brawl

Possibly 5,000 people were buried in places where the quake caused liquefaction, a phenomenon where wet soil weakens and collapses, becoming mud that sucks houses and everything else into the ground in a quicksand-like effect.

Hazardous tsunami waves from the quake were possible within 300 km of the epicentre along Papua New Guinea coastlines, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

Over 5,000 people are missing from Petobo and Balaroa, as based on reports from village chiefs, the disaster agency has said.

Along with the devastating death toll around 70,000 people are believed to be displaced from their homes, many families with children are among them. "They asked to be relocated to another place and a house made for them".

Indonesia has traditionally been reluctant to be seen as relying on outside help to cope with disasters, and the government shunned foreign aid this year when earthquakes struck the island of Lombok. Nugroho said there's no need for global aid other than the four priorities identified by Indonesia.

Indonesia's disaster agency says the September 28 disaster that hit Sulawesi island has killed 2045 people.

But earlier this week foreign aid workers were told to withdraw their personnel, frustrating some groups keen to help out on the ground.

Related Articles