Chris Dawson: Husband charged with murder in podcast mystery

Chris Dawson: Husband charged with murder in podcast mystery

Mr Dawson appeared in Sydney's Central Local Court via video link on Thursday, where he was denied bail.

Throughout proceedings, Mr Dawson sat with his arms crossed and appeared to be listening intently.

His flight landed about 9.30am at Sydney Airport, where a federal police auto and unmarked sedan were waiting on the tarmac.

Dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, the 70-year-old was led off the plane by detectives and driven from the tarmac straight to Sydney Police Centre in Surry Hills, where he was charged.

A podcast, The Teacher's Pet, has brought global attention to the case.

The body of the mother of two, who went missing in Sydney's northern beaches in 1982, has never been found.

Dawson has always been a suspect in the case but denies any involvement in his wife's disappearance.

"We are disappointed at the decision of the DPP as there is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and his daughters", his brother Peter Dawson said, according to the Seven Network.

"He will plead not guilty, he strenuously asserts his innocence, and he should be afforded that fundamental right", he said.

Mr Walsh said his client was entitled to the presumption of innocence.

Queensland Police arrest Chris Dawson at a home on the Gold Coast on Wednesday morning.
NSW Police
Queensland Police arrest Chris Dawson at a home on the Gold Coast on Wednesday morning. NSW Police

"As a result of the investigation and as a result of information that has come from the public, this week we received wonderful information from the DPP that there was sufficient evidence to prosecute", he says.

"I think that he's got a good basis on which to seek conditional bail."

The former school teacher was sitting in the back of a auto next to a police officer as he was being driven to the airport, after facing an extradition hearing on Wednesday.

Ms Dawson's sister-in-law, Merilyn Sims, said the family had been overwhelmed by support after being phoned by detectives with news of the arrest.

Mrs Dawson's niece Renee Simms said the family has been waiting for 36 years for some sort of explanation for her aunt's disappearance.

"We gave each other a big hug".

"After the disappearance of Lynette Dawson, there was evidence that she was observed by a number of people", the lawyer said on Thursday.

Earlier in the day she posted a message on Facebook to the St Ursula's and St Brendan's school community saying she would be coming to court to show her support for "Dawso and his family".

During a search in 2000, police found a cardigan of Lynette Dawson's that had cuts consistent with a stabbing.

"Mr Dawson was an fantastic teacher and that's what I know for sure".

More news: Vardy a doubt for Leicester’s reunion with Ranieri
More news: Kim Jong Un clears schedule for historic visit to Seoul
More news: China 'confident' of U.S. trade deal in 90 days as questions mount

Related Articles