Student Died After Eating Pasta That Was 5 Days Old

Student Died After Eating Pasta That Was 5 Days Old

The 20-year-old, known as AJ, passed away from severe food poisoning caused by the bacteria bacillus cereus.

The young man was reportedly found unresponsive hours after he had eaten the spaghetti with tomato sauce which was stored at room temperature.

According to Dr Bernard, who looked into the weird story on his Youtube channel, AJ put the bowl of stale food in the microwave to heat it up and ate it for lunch, not realising it was five days old.

An autopsy revealed that his food-borne illness was caused by the spore-forming bacteria called bacillus cereus.

We've all been guilty of drinking milk or munching on snacks that are a few days past their sell-by date, but eating food that's been left out on the kitchen counter for nearly a week is a risky move.

According to a report in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 30 minutes after eating AJ left his home for sports activities before heading home with a headache, nausea and abdominal pain.

After hours of sickness, AJ treated his symptoms as regular food poisoning, by keeping hydrated and trying to sleep it off.

More news: Apple To Sell Budget iPads Soon, But Without Face ID
More news: UK Parliament approves Brexit amendment on replacing Irish backstop
More news: United States raises travel advisory for Venezuela to highest level: 'Do Not Travel'

It's a type of bacteria that produces toxins that can cause diarrhea and vomiting, typically lasting for about 24 hours. Unfortunately, his parents found him dead the next morning after he failed to wake up for class. The emetic syndrome is caused by emetic toxin produced by the bacteria during the growth phase in the food.

The sudden death of a Belgium student who ate rotten pasta has made worldwide headlines after a U.S. professor used the case study to explain the impact of severe food poisoning on the human body.

Dr Bernard, a licensed practitioner, has also reviewed the case for his YouTube channel. "But for AJ a second agent was found", Professor Bernard said in the video.

This is important because sometimes food can be tainted without smelling or looking spoiled.

While he said AJ's case was an extreme case of food poisoning, Professor Barnard warned against eating leftovers that "smelled funny" and to adopt the "better to be safe than sorry" method and bin any questionable food.

'That was kinda dumb but not really something you expect to kill you a day later, ' one person wrote. "I don't know why anyone would leave perishable food in the kitchen for 5 days and think it's okay to still eat it", another added.

As scary as this story may be, it shouldn't stop you from eating leftover pasta or rice again.

Related Articles