Dissident Republican "IRA" claims responsibility for London, Glasgow letter bombs

Dissident Republican

The device in Scotland was located at the University of Glasgow. The package caught fire but nobody was injured, police said.

Police investigating the discovery of devices in London and Glasgow last week say a claim of responsibility has been received from "the IRA".

The Irish News newspaper received on Monday a recognised codeword.

In a statement, the Met said the caller had described how five devices had been sent, although only four have so far been found.

Commander Clarke Jarrett from the Met said: "We are still keeping an open mind with regards who may be responsible and any possible motivation".

In a joint statement, the two forces also revealed that the group is claiming to have sent five packages to various addresses in the United Kingdom, but to date only four have been recovered.

Later, the UK Metropolitan Police and Police Scotland confirmed they were aware of the claim, but stated they continued probing the devices and the claim itself.

Authorities have already provided "extensive advice" to relevant businesses and organizations to be vigilant for and report suspicious packages, the statement added.The advice was previously provided to armed forces personnel.

The group making the claim said five devices were sent, but police have so far only found four - raising the prospect that one package may not have been discovered yet.

More news: Shares - Boeing Weighs on Dow As Gross sales Knowledge Carry S&P, Nasdaq
More news: Chelsea boss Sarri: Dynamo Kiev pitch a disaster
More news: Jürgen Klopp: Liverpool back as European force

RTE reports that Gardaí, the Irish police force, believes the New IRA is increasing its activity in Northern Ireland (which remains part of the U.K.), citing the recent the incidents in the United Kingdom and a vehicle bomb that exploded in Derry, Northern Ireland. The building was evacuated as a precaution.

Specialist officers carried out a controlled explosion of the device. Flights were also unaffected, police said.

At approximately 11.40 a.m.

The only package that was opened was the one sent to Heathrow Airport's Compass Centre, setting the envelope alight. The package was not opened.

The station was not evacuated but cordons were in place. Train services were not affected.

At approximately 12.10 p.m. police were called to a report of a suspicious package at offices at City Aviation House, Royal Docks, Newham. The three London devices did not ignite and no one was injured in any of the cases.

Flights from nearby Heathrow Airport were not affected.

British counter-terrorism investigators said they linked three small improvised explosive devices (IEDs) received at addresses in London on Tuesday, March 5 with a similar device found the next day at the University of Glasgow. Both agencies are sharing intelligence to assist their inquiries.

Related Articles