Jarrell Miller Denies Wrongdoing As He's Denied Licence To Fight Anthony Joshua

Jarrell Miller Denies Wrongdoing As He's Denied Licence To Fight Anthony Joshua

While unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has remained silent on Jarrell Miller being found to have tested positive for a banned substance, WBC world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder shared his disappointment in Miller.

Matchroom had long planned to build his profile in the USA boxing market, to the extent that the fight location - which they remain committed to - and Brooklyn's Miller had been selected specifically to maximise its appeal.

With Miller now likely to face a hearing, previous form suggests the New York State Athletic Commission will refuse to license him for the fight if the B sample shows the same result, meaning Hearn is already lining up potential alternative opponents for Joshua.

British boxer Anthony Joshua, left, is shoved by Jarrell Miller, right, as they pose for photographs during a news conference Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019, in NY, to promote their upcoming fight.

Following the result, the New York State Athletic Commission revoked Miller's licence.

However on Tuesday it emerged Miller had tested positive for a banned substance following a test conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) on March 20. Now, his license has been rejected by the New York State Athletic Commission on Wednesday after his failed drug test.

"For us to give him that entry into the United States market, especially building on (streaming service) DAZN's upcoming fights, is very important for us and that schedule".

More news: Arsenal, Chelsea, Valencia, Frankfurt in Europa League SFs
More news: Shane Lowry still leads at weather affected RBC Heritage on PGA Tour
More news: Thousands camp outside Sudan's military headquarters demanding civilian rule

Given Hunter is American and has fought and won in the United Kingdom, his profile may yet be considered suitable for an occasion Matchroom hope will further Joshua's profile both domestically and in the US.

He retains the right to request another sample be tested and to reapply for a licence, and has now stated his intention to "vigorously appeal" the decision.

Josh Kelly's long-awaited US debut could be in danger with the news that a fighter in the main event has tested positive for a banned substance.

The biggest purse of Miller's career was a little over $500,000 for his fourth-round knockout of Bogdan Dinu on November 17, 2018.

Miller's co-promoter Dmitriy Salita said the 30-year-old boxer would continue to train while his team sought more information. "Whether that changes in the next couple of days, that's possible".

"I spoke to Luis Ortiz's manager and he felt it was too short notice for the fight", Hearn said.

Kelly was set to fight on the Matchroom USA card, making his debut Stateside as a B side to Joshua making waves across the pond. Miller's deal with DAZN calls for two comeback fights worth $1.5m apiece in the event that he loses to Joshua, which would disappear if there is no fight.

Related Articles