Alaska plane crash: 2 floatplanes in Ketchikan midair collision - 5 dead

Ten passengers from the excursion sold through Princess, and a pilot, were onboard that plane.

The four cruise ship passengers and the pilot on the smaller aircraft, which was operated by an independent tour company, died, said Princess Cruises.

According to Princess Cruises, which confirmed in a statement that its passengers were on board the two planes, the Royal Princess left Vancouver on Saturday and was set to arrive in Anchorage on May 18.

Two floatplanes crashed mid-air in southeast Alaska on Monday afternoon, resulting in at least five people dead, one person missing, and 10 admitted to hospital, according to reports.

Princess says nine guests from the Taquan Air plane have been rescued, and one;'s status is unknown.

Coast Guard Sector Juneau Command Center watchstanders launched a Coast Guard Air Station Sitka MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew and two 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crews Monday from Coast Guard Station Ketchikan in response to the incident. The other plane had five people aboard, and he says they are also missing.

Kenitzer says local authorities say five people were onboard a deHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, and 11 were onboard a de Havilland Otter.

More news: 'Game of Thrones' character names being given to more newborns
More news: Prosecutors recommend 4-month sentence for Felicity Huffman
More news: Doris Day, known for wholesome 1960s movie roles, dies at 97

She added: "We have one in critical condition, three in serious condition, and six in fair condition".

The coast guard and local search and rescue crews were on scene. The Coast Guard says these people are unaccounted for.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating.

The other plane had five people aboard, and he says they are unaccounted for. As of yet, it is unsure as to what caused both planes to go down.

There were 11 people on one plane, and Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios says the 10 injured were from that plane, one critically. It was not immediately clear whether the floatplanes collided or went down separately.

AP reported that weather conditions in the area of the crash comprised high overcast skies with 9 miles per hour southeast winds. Ten were taken to a Ketchikan hospital.

Related Articles