Man dies after contracting brain-eating amoeba after water park visit

Man dies after contracting brain-eating amoeba after water park visit

A man has passed away after being infected by a brain-eating amoeba while swimming at a water park in North Carolina earlier this month, according to the Sky News.

Health authorities said that he died from an amoeba that is naturally found in warm freshwater during the summer. Gray became sick after swimming in Fantasy Lake Water Park in Hope Mills in Cumberland County on July 12.

A brain-eating amoeba caused the death of a man from North Carolina this week.

However, engaging in extreme water sports can be fatal if the water is forced up the nose during water activities like diving or water-skiing, officials said. Symptoms on the total commence up with extreme headache, fever, nausea and vomiting and growth to stiff neck, seizures and coma.

There are just 145 known cases of Americans being infected by the amoeba between 1962 and 2018. "The family is now asking for privacy and respect during this hard time".

But the infection is very rare, and according to the CDC, there have been about 35 cases reported in the U.S.in the last decade.

The uncommon brain-eating amoeba often infects folks after it has been hot for a long time period-creating a higher water temperature and decrease water levels. "Once the ameba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is usually fatal", it stated.

More news: Bette Midler criticized for 'blackground' tweet
More news: Senate Intelligence report finds ‘extensive’ Russian meddling in 2016 election
More news: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gives update on further signings for Man United fans

Local officials warned lake-goers to take precautions when entering the waters.

"People should be aware that this organism is present in warm freshwater lakes, rivers and hot springs across North Carolina", Dr Moore said.

The statement included other tips, such use nose clips in the water, keep your head above the surface and refrain from stirring up sediment in shallow waters, but notes "there is no means to eliminate this amoeba from freshwater lakes".

Local officials are purportedly working with the water park to educate employees about the amoeba, which is almost impossible to eliminate from freshwater lakes.

However, it is not infectious when the water when swallowed.

Notably, people can not contract the bacteria by drinking contaminated water.

As of Thursday night, Fantasy Lake Water Park remains open.

Related Articles