Three dogs die hours after swimming in pond with toxic algae

Three dogs die hours after swimming in pond with toxic algae

Their three dogs - Abby, Izzy, and Harpo - had to be put down after swimming in a pond in Wilmington.

And on Saturday, Aug. 10, a couple took their border collie Arya to play in the water at Lake Allatoona in Georgia, local Atlanta news outlet 11Alivereported.

A North Carolina woman is warning pet owners after her three dogs died hours following a swim in a pond filled with toxic algae last week. "I had no idea", said Melissa Martin, whose dogs died from blue-green algae poisoning. Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, are "primitive", photosynthetic organisms that can feed off the sun to make their own energy and release oxygen and possibly toxins in the process, said David G. Schmale III, a professor at Virginia Tech.

The DNR says blue-green algae create a variety of deadly toxins.

Martin and Mintz are now seeking to spread the word about the dangers of blue-green algae.

Schmale said he hasn't seen a coroner's report to verify the causes of death, still he speculates the dogs were thirsty and the water contaminated.

But this algae doesn't just grow in those states. In addition, toxins produced by cyanobacteria can be present in waters even when an algal bloom is not visible. They've been observed in large freshwater lakes, smaller inland lakes, rivers, reservoirs and marine coastal areas and estuaries in all 50 states, according to Schmale.

There were no signs warning visitors of toxic algae near the pond, Martin told multiple media sources.

What do toxic algae look like?

More news: The Milky Way’s supermassive black hole just produced a brilliant, mysterious flash
More news: Scottish court to hear no-deal Brexit suspension case next month
More news: Woman Found Dead Near The Scene Of The Sydney CBD Stabbing

Owners are going to want to look out for green colored water because that is a telling sign the water might be risky to pets.

There have been no reports at this time of any pets or animals dying from the toxic algae in New Jersey.

A Go Fund Me page has been set up by Melissa's friends in a bid to spread the word and share this information with every pet owner. But within 15 minutes of leaving the pond, Abby, a West Highland white terrier, began to have a seizure.

Immediately, take your pet to the vet if you see these symptoms. Even dogs that avoid the water may be in danger.

"I would give anything to have one more day with them".

How do I keep my dog safe?

Dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae-contaminated water can also cause long term health problems. Signs include vomiting, seizures, diarrhea and shock. "'Cause nobody knows. Kids could get in it and it could poison them as well".

According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, toxins from cyanobacteria can impact kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, liver and nervous system of people, pets, livestock and other animals.

Related Articles