Girl Dies After Contracting Brain-Eating Amoeba From Swimming In River

Girl Dies After Contracting Brain-Eating Amoeba From Swimming In River

A 10-year-old United States girl who contracted a brain-eating amoeba parasite after going for a swim in a river, has died.

She was placed in a medically induced coma, WFAA reported.

Her battle for all times attracted help from throughout the USA and all over the world. "To see the outpouring of love and togetherness in a time where hate is the norm, has been refreshing".

Doctors and members of the Centers for Disease Control are trying to figure out how she contracted the amoeba.

Cook Children's Health Care System declined to comment when asked about Lily's death because the hospital had not received parental consent to do so, said hospital spokeswoman Kim Brown. "She taught us so much more in her ten years than we ever taught her", the family said.

Lily Mae "began having a headache, and it was quickly followed by a fever" on Sunday, Sept. 8, her family said on a Facebook page created to support the girl.

"Please wear nose plugs, if you insist on swimming in warm freshwater". We have been flooded by your love and support and feel incredibly humbled by how many lives have been impacted by our sweet and sassy, Lily Mae.

More news: S.Korea to develop anti-drone system amid standoff with North
More news: Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite hits Europe, more expensive than Mi 9T
More news: Mike Pompeo Won't be National Security Advisor, Says Donald Trump

Chris Dowdy, principal at Valley Mills Elementary School, revealed to CNN that Lily Mae, a 5 grader was "putting up a fierce battle for her life, caused by this bad amoeba". If your child starts showing symptoms and has recently been swimming in freshwater, tell your doctor!

"Lily was an absolute blessing to our elementary school", the post said. She was loving, kind, respectful, and had a handsome heart.

'They got it checked out. "This campus and community are beyond blessed for the time we shared with our Lily".

The district will have grief counselors on campus for students and staff for the remainder of the week. While infection is rare, people should be aware of the low-level risk while swimming in fresh water lakes, rivers, and hot springs.

"It is extremely serious and nearly always fatal", Texas Department of State Health Services spokesman Chris Van Deusen said.

Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it can cause a devastating and often fatal infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

Related Articles