S.Korea to develop anti-drone system amid standoff with North

S.Korea to develop anti-drone system amid standoff with North

North Korea the same day demanded the United States provide security guarantees as a precondition to resuming deadlocked nuclear talks, dampening hopes for progress at a working-level dialogue expected in the coming weeks.

While welcoming the USA position to continue talks in a press release on Monday afternoon, the director of the North Korean Foreign Ministry's US affairs department warned Pyongyang would only commit itself to denuclearization negotiations once all "obstacles" threatening the security of its regime were removed, adding that it was up to Washington to decide whether the upcoming talks "in the next few weeks" would be a "window of opportunity" or foment another crisis.

It used to be regarded as one of 4 modern short-fluctuate weapons techniques the North unveiled in most up-to-date weeks that experts remark may possibly possibly well presumably expand the nation's means to strike targets at some level of South Korea, along side USA bases there.

Trump said in early August that Kim had sent him a "very lovely letter" that mostly complained "about the ridiculous and expensive" joint military drills between the United States and South Korea, adding that Kim had apologised for the short-range missile tests. "I think we have a ways to go yet", Trump said.

But U.S. officials have not said anything about a second letter in August.

His remarks come as Kim reportedly invited Trump to visit Pyeongyang in a letter sent in August.

Since the June meeting, North Korea has several times tested short-range missiles.

More news: Mike Pompeo Won't be National Security Advisor, Says Donald Trump
More news: Liverpool begin Champions League defence with Napoli defeat
More news: Uber’s new RideCheck feature could turn out to be a life saver

The pair agreed to restart working-level dialogue during an impromptu meeting at the DMZ in June, and Pyongyang last week offered to hold those talks in late September, a move the United States said was "encouraging".

South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha on Monday officially confirmed that Trump had received such a letter, telling lawmakers in Seoul that she was informed about the missive in detail from the United States not long ago. The sacking of the White House's most strident hard-liner in the process, former U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton, is a positive message to the North.

A North Korean drone was found in 2017 on the South Korean side of the Demilitarised Zone separating the two Koreas.

An unidentified director-general for US affairs at North Korea's foreign ministry said on Monday he hoped a "good meeting" with working-level USA officials would take place "in a few weeks".

North Korea's vice foreign minister, Choe Son Hui, said last week Pyongyang was willing to have "comprehensive discussions" late this month.

NY could be a possible venue for the working-level talks, with leaders from various nations scheduled to gather for the general debate of the U.N. General Assembly in late September, pundits say.

Related Articles