US issues visas for Iran's Rouhani, Zarif to travel to UNGA

US issues visas for Iran's Rouhani, Zarif to travel to UNGA

During an interview with CNN, Zarif declared that "any USA or Saudi military strike on Iran will result in an all-out war".

Pompeo had described the attack on Saudi oil facilities as "an act of war".

Tehran has repeatedly rejected the USA allegations.

Both the Saudis and USA officials have rejected claims from Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels that they were responsible for the attack and instead note satellite pictures indicate the attack came from the north, originating either from Iran or from a vessel in the Persian Gulf.

"I cannot have any confidence that they did it because we just heard their statement", he added when reminded of the growing body of evidence that the Houthis could not have launched the attack.

A Saudi defence spokesman claimed that 25 drones and cruise missiles were used in the attack of two major oil installations and said they had been fired from the north, the direction of Iran. "We don't want to engage in military confrontation".

More news: Matsushima treble fires Japan to World Cup win over Russian Federation
More news: Taylor Swift: Katy Perry feud was inevitable
More news: UK's Brexit Secretary to meet EU's chief negotiator

As the host government, the United States is generally obliged to issue visas to diplomats who serve at UN headquarters. The US says it was in worldwide territory.

Pompeo met with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman during his trip to Saudi Arabia to discuss the attacks and declared America's support for Saudi Arabia's "right to defend itself".

Mr Pompeo told reporters: "This was an Iranian attack".

In another tweet, Zarif accused the United States of valuing oil more than people in the Middle East, before leaving for NY for the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations next week, state media said.

"Tehran is behind almost 100 attacks on Saudi Arabia while Rouhani and Zarif pretend to engage in diplomacy".

NetBlocks, an organization that monitors internet connectivity, said its data showed "intermittent disruptions" to some internet services in Iran starting from Friday evening. So what you have here is Iran making another provocative attack on the world's oil supply and then lying about it and daring anyone to do something about it. Iran maintains the drone was in Iranian airspace.

Related Articles