Justice must be done following deadly Burkina Faso attack

Justice must be done following deadly Burkina Faso attack

The convoy, escorted by military personnel, comprised five buses transporting national employees, contractors and suppliers, Semafo said in a press release.

As well as the 37 civilians killed, 60 were wounded, he said.

"Given the scale of the attack it will take some time to properly deal with it and we will do our utmost to support all those affected", Semafo CEO Benoit Desormeaux, President and CEO said.

A military escort vehicle was reportedly struck by an explosive device before gunmen opened fire.

"Two buses carrying workers were then fired upon", the source told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The assailants' identity was unclear, but Burkina Faso is struggling to combat surging Islamist violence in the remote eastern and northern scrubland areas.

Semafo said the mine remains secured and operations were unaffected and it's working with authorities to ensure the safety of its employees and contractors.

More news: Maddison and Oxlade-Chamberlain back in England squad
More news: British TV channels launch rival to Netflix, Entertainment News & Top Stories
More news: It Isn't Just TI - Virginity Testing Is a Worldwide Problem

Semafo had tightened security a year ago following attacks that killed three workers and five security officials. The mining company based in Montreal said it happened along a road between Fada and the Boungou Mine, a gold-mining operation in the eastern part of the country.

Roch Marc Kabore's call in a televised address came a day after a deadly attack that left dozens dead and many wounded.

Burkina Faso's northern provinces have been battling a almost five-year wave of jihadist violence that came from neighbouring Mali.

Wednesday's attack was the worst since groups with links to Islamic State and al Qaeda began targeting the landlocked nation with high-profile attacks in January 2016.

In a span of just three weeks, the number of displaced in Burkina Faso has increased by almost 70 percent, around half a million people, in a nation of 20 million, according to UN figures.

Reports indicate that hundreds of people have been killed so far this year and more than 150,000 have fled their homes due to attacks across the Sahel region.

Related Articles